Electrical Wiring in the Home/Basement Wiring for Recessed lighting

Hi, I have an odd problem; I am trying to replace some old recessed lighting in the basement. I have one light that is attached to one switch. I flip the switch to “ON” and when I test the circuit with a Circuit tester and NO socketed light attached the circuit shows full power needed (120V). But, when I attach a light socket with a fully functioning bulb in it, and flip the switch to “ON” it does not POWER THE LIGHT. I’m very puzzled by this. If there is plenty of power when I test the circuit why it wouldn’t be able to LIGHT UP THE BULB? I do know that somewhere in the ceiling (which is sheet-rocked) there is a junction box that is sending power to lights I am trying to get working, but I'm confused...Can you assist please?

Hi John,

It sounds like you have a bad neutral connection. This should be an easy fix for an electrician but it would be very difficult for a home owner. I would advise against it. The main issue is that connection could easily be loosing voltage and heating up. This could be a fire issue. I would keep the switch off until the problem is resolved.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.