Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bathroom wiring problem
I recently had an electrician come to my house trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with the light switch in my bathroom. It's a double box that had a mechanical timer added two months ago. Everything worked fine now the timer doesn't work, the light doesn't work ( though there is some power going to the light and the fan, but not enough to make it work) and the neutrals in the box are hot as is the neutral in the wall outlet outside the wall. He could not find anything or determine what the problem is. I have been in this house five years, as I said the timer was added two months ago, and all lights and outlets worked as normal until a couple of days ago,with no alterations to any wiring in the house. I would ask why all of a sudden what would cause all the wires in the box to become hot ?
Depending on the type of timer, some require a neutral to operate and if this one does I am suspecting a defective timer, but I am more inclined to think it has nothing to do with the wiring in this area at all. The neutral appears to be damaged somewhere on this circuit. I would begin at the panel to ensure there is no damage to it in the panel and that it is properly connected to the neutral bar and is not loose. From the panel it needs to be traced from the panel through every device on this circuit to see where it is damaged as it appears to be making contact with a live circuit wire. Thanks J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here