Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ceiling fan control

QUESTION: Hello Bill,
Is it possible to use a light-dimmer switch to control a ceiling fan which currently has a 3-position +off type of switch. There are times when we need the use of the fan but even the slowest speed is too fast. We always use a licensed electrician btw.
Thank you…

ANSWER: Markie,

That would be against code. I have seen it done but I would not do it.

QUESTION: Thank you Bill. Why I asked the question was because (in my layperson's language) I thought the potentiometer type curve in supply would deliver more control than a simple 3-step switch…

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours from Downunder

That makes sense. I can't tell you the engineering reason it is against code. Form my  experance when I have seen it done the dimmer runs a litter warmer.  Some  fans makes a humm. There could be a fire issue with over heating but I have never seen it and don't think it is likely.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.