Electrical Wiring in the Home/ceiling fan with light

Question
Hi, I have wired this new ceiling fan correctly. This is the second one, same brand.  When I turn on the fan with the light on, it makes a slight humming noise,(all three speeds).  If I turn off the light, (fan still running), the unit makes a loud buzzing noise.  Wiring is black to black and blue. White to white. No ground. There is a old dimmer switch for the ceiling light.  I will change the dimmer switch tomorrow.  This house was built in 1950, very few circuits with screw in fuses. My question is this, 1. Do you think the dimmer switch is the cause of the buzzing? 2. If the white wire is not the neutral, (say the black is neutral) would wiring the fan this way cause this noise. I will check the fuse box and see if the black is neutral. I seriously doubt it is.  The first fan I put in a mobile home. It works fine, very smooth no noise.

Answer
Remove dimmer,     that should shut the light off,    then  kill power and tie the light switch together,  that should turn the light on like a normal switch,    Impossible to say what is what, without seeing, it, but my guess is the dimmer is the cause of the humming,   but there are two sounds correct?   Humming and buzzing?   One step at a time  first removing the dimmer,  the dimmer should never be on the fan,    a dimmer might induce into the fan,   but should be a separate circuit,   

Then verify what each wire is,     as per your plan,       but don't simply change out the dimmer,   use the wires as the test without a switch in the mix,   to avoid confusion,   use the dimmer wires as an off/on switch,   

That will tell you a lot right there,     then we go step by step to resolve the remaining issues,  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt