Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ceiling fixture contains 4 sets of 2 wire

Question
Hi - I recently took down a ceiling fan that was over our dining room and of course did not take note of the wiring.I have 4 sets of 2 wire blk/wht/copper.I am trying to just install a lamp fixture in its place.My question is how do i install this correctly.I have found the line that is hot from the breaker with a meter.I then hooked these wires to the wires coming from the switch, or as i thought was coming from the switch ;blk to blk and wht to wht. Anyhow when i flipped the switch i got a small amount smoke from the light switch.I immediately turned the breaker off and got on this forum.How do i determine how to hookup all 4 sets of these wires with the new light fixture.

Thanks so much

Zarillus

Answer
Hi.

The wire going to the switch gets connected differently.  The white wire to the switch is really a hot wire, so put a piece of black tape on it.  This connects to the black fixture wire.  All of the remaining whites connect together, and all of the remaining blacks connect together.

If you don't know which wire goes to the switch, use a continuity tester with the power off.  The wires that show continuity when the switch is on, but not when the switch is off is the cable going to the switch.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle