Electrical Wiring in the Home/Connecting a combination switch to a garbage disposal

Next to the sink is an outlet that i want to change into a combo switch. I want that switch to turn on the garbage disposal which will be connected to the outlet under the sink. But the power is coming from outlet under the sink to the outlet next to the sink. What's the easiest way to connect without tearing the wall apart?

Coming from the outlet under the sink is defintely the easy way to go. So you can play it two ways: the "easy way" and the "real easy way". The easy way is to cut a new switch box in above the counter where you want it. Before you make the hole in the wall however make sure you can get a snake up the wall to that spot. You have to shove the snake up there anyway, better to make sure its going up there and not have to patch a hole. Also before you cut the hole in make a small hole in the wall with a screw driver right in the center of where the box would be. Probe straight in with the screw driver and make sure you have the depth to sink a 3-1/2" gem box then probe in a circular motion the entire area where the box would be to be sure there are no obstructions in your way like water pipes, vent pipes, waste lines or framing. Again its easier to patch a small hole than a big one. You may even be able to tell where the studs fall if its just 1/2" sheet rock and not tile by the nail or screw head dimples or if you have good touch with your knuckles you can hear and feel the difference between hitting the stud VS anywhere inbetween. If its tile you have to really be careful and you may want to go the "real easy way" route if thats the case. You can't guess with tile you have to know.

You will run two 12-2 Romex cables up to the box. Use a 3-1/2" deep old work plastic gem box. One cable will go to the disposal and the other cable to the existing outlet where you will "tap" the power.

The "real easy way" is to locate the switch under the sink up high near the top of the cabinet door instead of in the wall over the counter. You can position the box under the sink so the switch faces out so its easy to reach or just have it on the side of the cabinet where you can still get a finger on it. Your choice.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.