Electrical Wiring in the Home/connecting a US dryer in a 220 volt country

We have a GE Electric dryer (Model- DBLR333EEEWW) says inside door 120/240V 60hz and then under that 120/208V 60hz. It has the NEMA 10-30R 30AMP power cord already attached. I also purchased the three prong power outlet to install that fits this cord.

We are planning to take this dryer to be used in a 220 volt/ 50hz country. So can we just install the three prong outlet into the 220 volt wall? I was told a while back that the dryer uses split current, one voltage to power heating element and another voltage to power fan or motor? Not sure if I am remembering correctly...

Also when we install the three prong outlet into the wall, what is the detail of wiring the outlet exactly? I mean what current/voltage wires go where if it is indeed split voltage in this dryer?

Could you also elaborate on the 30 amp duoble pole breaker, what exactly is it, where is it installed and what does it do?  

We will be installing this ourselves, if its even possible, so any advice you can give will greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay.

This won't work.  US Dryer uses 120 for controls, power derived from hot to neutral

There is no 120 available where you are planning to install this.

Maybe you could get a 240 to 120/240 volt transformer to allow use of dryer. Probably cheaper to buy a new dryer
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair