Electrical Wiring in the Home/Correct voltage but low amperage

I was recently helping a friend wire an outlet near his horse tank for a tank heater. I was trying to tap one side of the I've line that was already there for the well, which I did successfully. The problem is that each pole reads 118v and 124v on the 220v poles. But when I wired the 110v outlet and plugged anything in, it would barely run. The well seems to run a little slow too. I've done this in my own garage before to have a few more outlets when I'm not using my welder, and it works fine. Did I do something wrong??? Or, is there a problem with the existing wire??? The existing wire is old and is buried directly (no conduit).

Sounds like you need to update your underground wire. I would call in an electrician. From your description I think you cold be do this I a way that is not allowed by code.  You are not allowed to split a 220 line to run a 110 load.  If that is what you are trying to do.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.