Electrical Wiring in the Home/flickering pot light

Question
QUESTION: Hello there,
I have two recessed lights above my bar and one flickers on and off after it's been on for a while; the other one does not.  I've tried switching to a lower wattage bulb, but that did not help.  Today I replaced the 1984 pot lights with new Commercial Electric 5 in. Recessed White LED Trim lights, and they look great, but after 10 minutes that same light began to flash.  I figured going LED would help any potential heat issue.

I cannot get to the lights from above to view problems; I've replaced the switch at the wall, so I'm stumped as to why this problem exists.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thank you!

Barbara

ANSWER: Hi Barbra,

You need to replace the light fixture. It has a bad thermostat. You should be able to unscrew it from inside the can and drop it down to replace it. You do not need to get above it. This is a simple job for an electrician if it is out side you skill level. I would pick up the same model can the call an electrician out to make the replacement.

QUESTION: Do you mean I need to replace the drop down socket? When I replaced the old fixture, the new one was retrofitted by screwing it into the old socket. Is that the part that's bad? Can that be replaced by simply rewriting a new one into it? Thank you for your response...I truly appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
Barbara

Answer
You don't replace the socket. You replace the entire can. Inside the can there are 3 screws that hold it to it's frame. You undo the screws and drop the can down and replace it with a new fixture. If this is outside your skill level you should call an electrician. I would just purchase a new recessed light that matches the one you need to replace so that it fits into the same frame.  

old work style whole can come down:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.diylife.com/media/2007/08/00026.jpg

New work style has screw that drops the can out of the frame. You can see one of the frame screws in the inside right corner of the can.
http://www.blocklighting.com/DIY/content/uploads/2012/11/Recessed-Housing-Thomas
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz