Electrical Wiring in the Home/hardwiring rope lights on dimmer

Hi. I want to replace the halogen under the cabinet lights in my kitchen. There are currently 3 halogen under cabinet lights and 2 cans over sink that are all on the same dimmer switch. I purchased Hampton Bay super-right rope lights from Home Depot (they of course have a plug). In addition, the current wiring might not be installed correctly; the wires simply come out of the wall and the wires are joined and covered with the screw on cap/cover. Can I simply strip the extension cord on the rope light and join wires? Do these rope lights have a ground cord? Please advise.

Yes, you can hardwire them into the switch. But you cannot leave the wires exposed, even with the wire nuts on them they cannot be exposed. It is a serious shock hazard.

You have a couple of choices; you can install a box extension (or wiremold box) on top of the switch box, or you can install a junction box under the cabinets.

The hot wire needs to be "switched", which it probably is but just make sure.  If the neutral accidently gets "switched" the lights will always be hot and that is a shock hazard.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.