Electrical Wiring in the Home/house ground and plumbing

Question
hi Greg - The water pressure going into my home is 80lb! I want to add a pressure regulator where the city water enters the house, garage wall. I noticed that leaving the house it's copper tubing (the whole house is copper). There is a copper ground wire connected to the copper pipe there, also coming from the house. Then, the copper goes into galvanized steel pipe (via a union) to the city meter. I don't see a dialectric there between the copper and steel.

1. Shouldn't there be a dialectric to protect the pipes from corrosion? (Maybe this is a plumbing question :-)

2. If there is a dialectric, should I connect a heavy copper wire between the copper and steel pipe for grounding purposes?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

Answer
I am surprised there is not already a pressure regulator on that line.

Yes, you should have a dielectric union.

Yes, you should jump across it with a heavy copper wire. Leave some play so you can keep the wire attached when taking the union apart.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes