Electrical Wiring in the Home/infared wide flood par 30 bulb

QUESTION: It appears that most of the wide flood halogens are being phased out to a more energy efficient infared halogens.  I'm either going to go with a GE bulb or Philips.  GE only has a 30 degree beam spread compared with Philips with a 40 beam spread.  Need help comparing.  GE, model #66580 is a 48Par30 with a life of 4200H, cbcp 2600 and 840 lumens, 30 degree beam spread. It adds the term "NFL" to the HIR.  What does "NFL" stand for.   The Philips is model #14498-9 40PAR30S WFL40 4200Hours 1150 MBCP and 720 lumens.  Philips also has model #14501-1 50PAR30S WFL40 4200 hours 1460 MBCP and 970 lumens.  What's the difference between "mbcp" and "cbcp"?  Is 30 degree beam spread not considered wide flood.  Want to make sure I have enough light in the room, 12 X 12, using 4 5" par 30 cans.  It's hard to compare since the companies are using different terms and I don't know what they mean.  Thank you for your time.

I don't know what "mbcp" or "cbcp" means but what counts is the wattage of the lamp and its beam spread. I know what these lamps look like when lit. 30 degree's is a narrow beam of light, hence "NFL" which means "narrow flood". Using this type of lamp you will have "hot spots" on your floor (defined circles of brightness) and shadowy area's in between these hot spots. This is actually "a look" that some people desire depending upon the situation but not what your looking for.

With 4 recessed lights in a 12'X12' room you want to use the Philips 40 degree however it doesn't say what the wattage is. It would be better to use the 75 watt version of that lamp which is probably what it is. The 50 watt version may not be bright enough but if you use a dimmer and the 75 watt lamps you can dim them down to what ever you want. These lamps will spread the light out more evenly on the floor, not as hot and  with less shaded areas in between.

QUESTION: Thank you for your advice, it has been invaluable.  There are 3 different Philips halogen bulbs that are available in infared with a 40 degree beam spread that I can use.  The column heading for the wattage on these bulbs is listed on their website as nom. watts.  So not sure what the "nom" stands for.  Anyway, they are: 1) 40PAR30 (40 nom. watts) 720 lumens; 2) 50PAR30 (50 nom. Watts) 970 lumens; and 3)60PAR30 (60 nom. watts) 1140 lumens.  Also, these are all shortneck.  Does shortneck aesthetically look better than long neck?  If not what is difference.  Thank you so much for your time.

The 40 and 60 watters are an odd size and you will not find these at HD or Lowes. You would have to special order them but you don't need them anyway so no problem.

You will find the 50 and 75 watt in both the "long and short neck" versions at HD and Lowes. Which one you will use depends upon which Lightolier "trim" your using and which "frame in kit" your using. So look them up in their on line catalog and it will tell you which one to use.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.