Electrical Wiring in the Home/Installing dryer in 220v country

QUESTION: We have a GE Electric dryer (Model- DBLR333EEEWW) says inside door 120/240V 60hz and then under that 120/208V 60hz. It has the NEMA 10-30R 30AMP power cord already attached. I also purchased the three prong power outlet to install that fits this cord.

We are planning to take this dryer to be used in a 220 volt/ 50hz country. I am thining we cannot just install the three prong outlet into the 220 volt wall right? I was told a while back that the dryer uses split current, one voltage to power heating element and another voltage to power fan or motor? Not sure if I am remembering correctly...

Also when we install the three prong outlet into the wall, what is the detail of wiring the outlet exactly? I mean what current/voltage wires go where if it is indeed split voltage in this dryer?

Could you also elaborate on the 30 amp duoble pole breaker, what exactly is it, where is it installed and what does it do?  

We will be installing this ourselves, if its even possible, so any advice you can give will greatly appreciated.

Your dryer does indeed utilize 120 and 240 volts as the sticker indicates there fore it will not work solely on 220 not to mention the cycle difference (HZ). Sure you could install a transformer to get 120/240 but by the time you do that you could have bought a new dryer and  saved money to boot.

Your best bet is to sell the dryer here if you can and get at least something for it plus you will save money on shipping it over there.

voltage regulator 1
voltage regulator 1  

voltage regulator 2
voltage regulator 2  
QUESTION: Hi and thanks for your fast reply. Ok we have a voltage regulator waiting for us in 220v country and we can use it to hook up dryer if that is possible. Bought with intentions to hook up a few small kitchen appliances but can get another smaller one for those. I have attached a few pictures of it so you can see what it is...

If we can indeed hook dryer wiring to this, can you advise how to do so? Would we just plug in or would we have to split wiring, some into regulator for 120v and some into wall for 240v?

Thanks again and hope you dont mind follow up question.

No can do. I looked up this unit and your dryer on line. First, this voltage regulator can only handle 3000 watts, your dryer is 24 amps X 240 = 5760 watts. You would overload the regulator. And the regulator will only "output" 110 volts or 220-240 at a time, in other words its either putting out 110 volts or between 220 and 240 volts but not both 110 and 220-240 at the same time which is what your dryer requires. Much easier to just purchase a new dryer over there and save the regulator for small stuff.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.