Electrical Wiring in the Home/Installing electrical box for outdoor light fixture

Question
Hello,
I would like to install a flood light on the side of my house. The house is located in NYC and wired with armored cable with bonding strip (no separate ground wire).

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to run an electrical box for this fixture without violating any electrical codes. The area I am working in has exposed studs (all of the drywall was removed).

Can I simply install a regular octagonal metal box and then put a plastic mount like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-8141-1-Vertical-Siding-Mounting/dp/B002W6ZOCO/re on the siding against the metal box?

Would that be allowable without violating any codes?

Thanks!

Answer
John,

NYC has its own standards that in some cases supercedes the NEC so I can't say for sure that what you want to do is OK. Most importantly I don't know if NYC allows its residents to do their own electrical work which I kinda doubt because they are so stringent. New York State license's electricians by county. In other words I can do electrical work any where in NJ. Not so in NY. Then you get into the whole insurance thing. What if something happens and you burn your house down. Who did the work that looks new ? Oh no license or permits ? You may find yourself on the hook for the cost of a new house. Hey its not all that far fetched and it does happen. Its up to you to decide if its worth the potential risk. Even if it is possible for you to do your own electrical work legally your insurance company may not like the idea. You might want to check with them too.

Having said that, if the rest of your house is wired with that same type of cable and your merely looking to extend that same wiring type (BX) and circuit to a new lighting outlet then I see no problem with that or the material you have in mind to use. Assuming of course the materials are OK to use, they are installed corrctly and its OK with everybody that you do the work.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman