Electrical Wiring in the Home/LED bulb flashing

Question
hi, I live on Long Island. I escaped Sandy ok. we had a blackout for a week but all things considered, we feel blessed. After the blackout, our front light (an LED) keeps flashing, I'd say it's more than flickering. Weird thing is then it stopped. Getting pretty cold here. It's an outside light (covered by a portico but still exposed to elements) but it never flashed before, it's been there for 2 winters already.  Also wanted to ask if you had any recommendation for lighting. our house is so dark! We are thinking of more high hats but bigger ones though we are upset that we will probably have to break the ceiling.  Any thoughts? Thanks!

Answer
Liat,

The flashing could be due to power fluctuations from the storm or it could be defective, or maybe it doesn't like being exposed directly to the elements with out a cover.

Recessed lighting is the best in my opinion so you can add more to your exisitng recessed lighting or install it from scratch in other area's of the house where you may not have it or upgrade to bigger units where you have smaller ones.

Installing recessed lighting in an existing ceiling with minimal damage should be done by a contractor who is experienced in doing this. It takes the right tools and know how to be done cleanly. You want a guy who does residential wiring and a get a recomendation as well.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman