Electrical Wiring in the Home/Lights shut off

Question
The lights in the Bed Room, and Hallway and outlets in those area goes out also. What can I do?

Answer
Ralph,  you have no power to your bedroom, hallway to it,  and the outlets in the bedroom and any in the hallway,   correct?

You say they go out,   do they come back on?

Does a breaker trip?

I do not want to panic you,  but if you have lights and outlets that go out and come back on,  that is not a good situation,    it is not great when you have a breaker trip,   but if they are going out and coming back on    without you resetting anything,     I would strongly advise paying the ticket for a licensed electrician,   

Actually either way,  if you are constantly resetting a breaker,  you really need a pro,    

If they are going off then back on,  with no trip,   that indicates anything from a loose wire nut somewhere,  to a bad ground stake,   to a failing wire,    all possible dangerous situations,

You need some knowledge of a meter,    they have non contact AC voltage tracers that look like a big fat pen,  it beeps as you follow a live line  right through sheet rock,     you might find the problem with one of those,   you would start at the breaker box when the power goes off,   go to the bedroom breaker,  if not tripped,  then see if it beeps and follow until you find where it stops,  but it could be behind cabinets, up in the attic, down  who knows,   plus those things run $50    and your time,     

If you have experience it would be worth it, but these kind of things could have a half broken wire and when the lights are on,  no arcing,  when they go off,  loose wirenut   partially broken wire,   there could be arcing,      not good,   

http://circuitdetective.com/

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/

I would advise you get a pro,  but the top link shows you the tracer I was explaining,  the second or lower link   thecircuitdetective     is a website,   very well put together,   

Sometimes with minimal experience he has this site so well laid out you can find a problem   he has kind of a yes no chart, to follow   if no do this  if yes do that,  and right on the first page is outlets not working,     as an example,   

But it could be two problems,   it is just so hard to say, and your safety  and a possible fire are just nothing to fool with,   my house just burned,   bad coffee maker cord  of all things,     and you do not want to deal with that,   promise it is well worth the price of a service call,  for these things to be sure,    

A good electrician should find a problem like this in short order,   I am just not much on DIY for intermittent electrical issues,     

But look at the website  it might give you a clue,     it sure sounds like there is something either wrong at the breaker panel,   bad breaker, bad ground rod,   that is a lot of area to go out,   and I have no idea if a breaker is picking it up and tripping or the lights just go out with the breaker closed,      

An electrician can get a voltmeter on there,  an ampmeter in case there is too much load,   so many things a good one can do,     and again it should be very quick,      

If you do call one, and they seem to be taking a long time,   let me know,  this big of an outage should be fairly simple to identify,   and if he or she seems to be milking the time,   ask,    you can tell them you are talking to me, and even show them this letter,    

They should have every tool needed to find an open like this with them and go right for the problem,      

If you get an answer and don't like it   let me know that too,  anything that seems unreasonable   lots of money,   anything like that,   let me know what they are saying,  

But most will be trustworthy, fast and accurate,    but then there are those that would cheat,     cannot be ruled out,    

But I bet the fix is not an expensive fix,   lights and outlets  it has to be a big part of the many branch circuits,    so we already know  the power is probably going out in the main breaker box,   or close to it,  you say cuts OUT,   that tells me they are going out and back on,  but I cannot be sure,    normally when a person labels an intermittent problem as CUTS OUT<   they are saying the lights are on,  then they cut or go out, followed by coming back on.  Again a situation you do not    can not let go on for long  not days   or weeks,   you need to go to the site I provided ASAP  and if that chart does not lead you to finding the problem, PLEASE CALL SOMEONE     

Check the seoond website,  follow his chart,  answer the questions,  and maybe you can find it,  but if not,   call a reputable electrician and get to the bottom of the problem soon,  

you can find me at  repair@mearservice.com   or 816-650-4030  MEAR Services Inc  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt