You are here:

Electrical Wiring in the Home/making fluorescent light fixture into incandescent


I've always wondered and now I have a need to know…can you take the ballast and sockets out of a fluorescent light fixture and install incandescent sockets instead?  This is a round decorative, ceiling mount fixture that uses G24q-3 bulbs, NOT tubes.  I think the ballast is going bad and I really like the looks of this fixture and would invest in regular sockets, install them and use compact fluorescent bulbs if I knew if this is safe and doable.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated.  I really don't want to invest in buying and installing a new ballast as it is almost as much as the cost of a new fixture and I HATE those expensive G24q-3 bulbs anyway!


It's probably better best not to.  How safe it is depends on how well you do it.  If someone uses an incandescent bulb, not knowing it is supposed to be fluorescent, it could overheat and damage the wire. This could lead to a fire, even years later. Fixtures are designed and UL listed for certain bulbs.

It would be best just to replace the fixture with something you like.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bob Sponaugle


Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.

©2017 All rights reserved.