Electrical Wiring in the Home/Open Ground

I was wiring in a GFCI and seperate dimmer switch.  The switch kept blowing out.  I looked up river and noticed an outlet that has an open ground - meaning it's not carring ground out to the new GFCI.  The GFCI however worked - but the dimmer would not.  I'm assuming I simply need to ground the upriver outlet?

Hi Warren,

I'm afraid you are making too many assumption that are unrelated. There is obviously something wrong. I feel it would be best for you to write down you believed solution but then hire an electrician. I have see people with just enough knoeledge be dangerous do some crazy repairs. I don't want to stop you from learning but judging from you logic you should have your work checked. I'm confident you would get this working but not confident it would be safe.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.