Electrical Wiring in the Home/Plug quits working when light switch is on

Question
Our house is built in 57 and some one did not do good job with wiring.  My old vanity light had a plug as well so it had 3 wires coming in (red, blck, white).  My celing van had two wires (black,white).  I have one double switch with 3 wires (black-hot, red-used for vanity light, white used to turn the fan on)
Now, we remodeled lights and so the old vanity with plug light now has only vanity light.  3 wires from wall i connected RED to Black and White to White and switch works perfectly.  Now I replaced the fan by light/fan/nightlight fixture and since i had only (black,white) wires coming to fan i had to run one extra wire from there to the switch and i changed my switch to a 3 switch.  Now my top switch turns on and off vanity, my middle switch turns on and off (fan an light) on celing and my bottom switch turns on nightlight in celing.  All this works perfectly however i have no plugs in bathroom.  So i add a plug next to the switch, and i grab HOT from the switch and i used the second wire that was coming from the nightlight to connect the other end.  Now my problem is that whenever i turn on the (van,light) my plug stops working but in any other combinations everything is okay.    Please help what did i do wrong?

Answer
Hi.

Does the power enter the switch first, then go to the lights and fan?  If so, then the outlet (which must be a GFCI in the bathroom) should connect to the same wires that bring the power in.

Now, if the power enters the light first, you probably have no neutral wires in the switch box, and therefore the outlet would not work unless you add the neutral wire from the light to the switches.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle