Electrical Wiring in the Home/Portable Generator Transfer System Question

Question
Hello,

I'm in the process of getting a portable generator wired into some sort of transfer system and have a couple of questions:

1. Transfer switch Vs Interlock Kit - I'm leaning towards Interlock kit because it is cheap and gives flexibility but I would like expert feedback on the choice. One drawback seems to be that the user may accidentally go over the limit of the generator (in my case the generator has no indication of wattage used/drawn. if that were to occur my expectation is that the generator circuit will trip and there is no harm caused to the attached devices and no other safety hazard. Can you please clarify?

2. The generator has NEMA L14-30R output (with four prongs). The  generator is rated at 7000 running watts, however, the output seems to be 3600W (120v x 30A). I think this likely has to do with the second hot leg (X or Y) in the receptacle but I'm not sure. Can you please clarify how this works and if this has any implication on the choice or wiring of the transfer switch or interlock switch.

Thanks in advance.

-raj

Answer
Raj,

The interlock kit is the way to go. It is inexpensive and effective. Being able to energize any circuit in your panel is a definite advantage you just have to decide in advance what circuits you will keep on during an outage, then manage what you do keep on. The worst that can happen is the CB on the generator trips. Know what your key loads draw (wattage) so you have an idea of what your generator can handle and how many of your key loads can be on at the same time with out overloading the generator.

You will use the 4 wire 30 amp twist lock receptacle on the generator not the 120 volt 30 amp twist lock.
It does indeed give you the second "hot" leg thus increasing the full 7000 watts to your panel.

The interlock kit would be the same using either twist locking receptacle.

You need the matching 30 amp 125/250 volt generator receptacle that is pre made for mounting outside. A 2 pole 30 amp breaker for your panel. 10-4 Romex run between the panel and the outdoor receptacle. The appropriate interlock kit and if the panel happens to be a newer Square D panel they make their own version of the interlock kit at half the price.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman