Electrical Wiring in the Home/replacing fluorescent light box

Question
Hello. I'm hoping you can help me figure out how many lights I can replace my monster fluorescent light box with. We have two fluorescent fixtures (Lithonia Lighting C 2 32 120 GESB 2 Light Fluorescent Strip) that we want to replace with, hopefully, 4 LED recessed lights and two pendant lights (rated for up to 100w incandescent but we may use fluorescent bulbs if I can find some I like). I know the fluorescent strips are considered 120v fixtures but don't know how to use that information to help me. I know that the LED lights only use 8.8watts each, but don't know how to use that information to help me either! Do you? I asked another expert and his answer was to techy for a do-it-yourselfer like me. He said I needed a special kind of amp probe, etc., which I am sure makes sense to do, but not being an electrician, I don't have that kind of tool. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Answer
Hi.

Normally you do not have to worry about it.  The wiring should be good for at least 1800 watts. That is everything that is on the circuit. Unless you house is very old, you should have enough capacity. What you are adding is not excessive.  Now, if it was an unfinished basement, and you were adding 10, 150 watt floodlights, then you would have to calculate.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle