Electrical Wiring in the Home/transfer switch wiring

Question
I have a reliance q310c 30 amp 10 circuit transfer switch.  My electrical panel is on the opposite end of the house of where I will need to have my 8000 watt generator plugged in.  This is going to require me to have an approximate 100 foot run from the plug-in to the transfer switch.  Should I be running 10-3 with ground or 8-3 with ground for this installation?

Answer
Jeffry,

Assuming your generator has a 30 amp 125/250 volt twist locking receptacle on it run 10-3 which is good for 30 amps and matches the rating of the receptacle and the circuit breaker on the generator protecting it. No problem with voltage drop at the 100' distance.

If you plan to try to run your central AC don't do it with out adding a "hard start" capacitor to the condensor motor depending upon its size. If its 2-1/2 to 3 tons you could probably start it. The add on capacitor reduces the starting current considerably. Running the AC isn't the problem its getting it to start.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman