Electrical Wiring in the Home/Did I wire my ceiling fan backwards?

Question
Hi Will,
I have a old home (50+yrs) and installed a new ceiling fan today.  The 2 wires coming out of the ceiling were not clearly marked black/white, they have an old black/rusty fabric on them.  One was significatnly shorter than the other and I tried to remember how the old fan was hooked up to follow that with the new fan. One of the wires from the ceiling was significantly shorter than the other, and I thought that one had the white wire going to it from the old fan.  
I put the new fan white wire to what I thought was the ceiling white wire and then the 2 black wires from the new fan to what I thought the black wire from the ceiling was.  
Problem is, everythign is all put together now and....nothing turns on.  The lights/fan do not work, leaving me to wonder, do I have the wires "backwards"?  Should I take everythign apart and now switch the wires from the fan to the ceiling around to see if that works?  
Any help you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

From:  Clearly not an electrician :)

Answer
Beth,

From what I am reading you have three wires from your new fan?   And how many from your old fan?

It does have a light kit.   Is the fan and or light switch controlled from wall switches or pull cords on the fan or both,  or a combination?

First I am not sure what type of wiring you have in the house,   shorter or longer wire should make no difference on the fan or home wiring if it is not deteriorated or cracking badly,

it is a woven type covering on the wire,  which is normal for that time period,     next a fan being a motor,  doesn't care if the black [hot] is swapped with the white [neutral]   the fan only cares if it gets the rated voltage on the two motor wires,    it won't turn backwards  it just makes no difference if two AC motor leads are provided which gets the black or white,   

so that in and of itself should not be a problem,   [however keeping with the color scheme is preferred, in reality,  a motor needs whatever voltage, phase, and cycles it was designed for,   

There should be a wiring diagram from the fan in the box,  somewhere,    the best I can tell is you have  

What bothers me is three wires from the fan,   I am reading 2 blacks and 1 white?

MOST OF THE time for ceiling fan wiring,  the colors help indicate which is switch leg,    a switch leg is nothing more than the hot wire ran to the switch,  the switch cuts it in half when off, and connects it back when on,   that simple,        the two power wires are brought to the ceiling box   the white goes straight to it,    the black routes through a wall switch and to the fan.   Then you can turn the fan off and on by the wall switch.

But with a light kit,  there should be a blue wire,  from the fan,   it would be a switch leg, the box would have a black, white, red  and possibly green wire,    but you only have two,  if I understand correctly.

In that case if you have two power wires,   ONLY,  and three from the fan,   then probably one of the blacks wires is really blue,    and the other is white.

Next  you would connect the two dark wires to the black of the home wiring, and the white to white, from fan to house,  which I think you did,    that would put one neutral on one side of the fan,  and the fan black, and light black to the black from the house,     then everything would be controlled from the two cords, and no wall switch,        

Did you check for a tripped breaker or blown fuse?  If for some reason the old insulation was damaged or is now touching something it should not, when you tried the fan,  no power to light or fan,    because the breaker or fuse is open,     

I need some more details about what you have,    you really need to hang the new fan,  with the temp hook,     then cut the power,  however by removing the fuse or tripping the breaker,   a volt meter would be much easier to identify the house wiring,    but BE CAREFUL up on a ladder    accidents from electrical work are usually from a non lethal or non injury "shock'   the injury comes when the "shock" is felt and the person jerks back [usually on their own surprised by the tingle,  and end up falling off a ladder, or falling and pulling whatever they are working on on to them]

But at this point you need to identify what is what in the ceiling,  if both wires are black from the fan, and not blue and black,  [they make the damn blue wire a dark blue   so it is easy to confuse,     but if you are using both pull chains  then the both would go to the black from the ceiling  and white to white,    [again a motor doesn't care  as long as gets the power it needs, but keeping the hot on the hot,  by color is the way to do it if possible.

You will need to sort this out or send me some more info  even photos so I can look,    maybe I can tell without a meter,    if it becomes a real problem,  get a certified electrical person to help you,    with this old wire,  and it being fabric    care to not damage anything is important,     it might be best you have someone with experience look over the situation.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt