Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring problems

Question
I have three consecutive fluorescent fixtures that are not working. When I tested the wiring at the junction boxes that are connected to them, there is no voltage coming in. I checked the fuse panel for a tripped circuit and they are all on.  What can be the problem?  Also, I followed the conduit from the two junction boxes that service the three fluorescent fixtures to a office which has two additional fluorescent fixtures, both are working, and I found another main junction box that connects all five lights (the three that not working and the two that is working) and I found a blue wiring that has current in it but it is not connected to anything. Could that be the problem?

Answer
Hi.

It probably is not the problem.  Unless the wire came loose.  Most likely there is just a wire loose under the wire nut.  All you can do is check all of the wire nuts. If those 3 are on a separate switch, the switch could be bad too.

Be careful if you try to connect the blue wire to something. You could end up with a 220 volt short circuit, or putting 220 volts to the lights.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle