Electrical Wiring in the Home/12V-110?

Question
I would like to install a chandelier that's wired for 110 (with chandelier based bulbs) replacing a low voltage fixture.  The wiring in the ceiling that comes from the transformer is 12V wiring, and would require tearing the ceiling out to replace.  Can I just put 12V bulbs in the new chandelier and wire it up using lamp wire to the old 12V wires in the ceiling?

Answer
Hi.

There may be some way that it might work, but jury-rigging things is usually not a good option. If the load on the chandelier exceeded the capacity of the transformer, it would overheat and possibly cause a fire. Also, the wiring could overheat, because you would need thick wire for low voltage with a high load.  I don't know where you can find chandelier bulbs that would fit and be 12 volts.

I would look into other options including a swag kit, or wiremould wiring if you don't want to tear the ceiling out.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle