Electrical Wiring in the Home/220 dryer outlet only 110

I was having problems with my clothes dryer not staying on, so I went to work repairing the dryer. I cleaned it out and found the motor was bad so I changed it. I hooked it all up and now it does not power up at all. I decided to purchase a new dryer so not to put any more work in the old one. I hook up the new one and no power! So I check the outlet with a voltage sensor, and there is power there so I check the breaker box only to find that no breakers in the box shut the power off to that outlet! So I get my voltage meter and it is only putting out 110. I cannot shut off the power to that circuit because no breaker. what should I do?

Perhaps someone connected the wire to the main wire coming in.  See if you can trace the wire, and see where it enters the breaker box, and what it is connected to. It should be number 10 wire, with 3 conductors.

You may need an electrician with the tools and knowledge to work on live wires to disconnect it from where it is connected and reconnect it to somewhere safe.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.