Electrical Wiring in the Home/3 way switch replaced with a leviton VPT24

I would like to replace one of the three way switches that control outside lights with the timer i have purchased. On the existing switch there are three wires attached, on the timer switch i have 4 wires + the ground. How do I wire this timer?

Three way switches have only 3 wires plus the ground.  If you have more than 2 switches, there are 4 way switches in the circuit. There are two 3-way switches, and the rest are 4 way. You would need to locate the 3 way switches in the circuit and install the timer there.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.