Electrical Wiring in the Home/add a light and single pole switch to light

I have a pull chain basement light and want to add another light in this room then run to a single pole switch to control both lights. I've scoured the web for a diagram with no success.  Can you explain the wiring connections at the lights or point me in the direction of a diagram? Do I need a 3 wire between the lights?  Thanks.

The easiest way might be to run a cable from the existing light to the new light and another wire from the switch to the existing light.  Both wires would be 2 conductor plus ground.

Both wires going to the switch would be hot, so put black tape on the hot wire to show that.  The power coming in would go to one of the switch wires. The other switch wire would connect to the black wire for both the existing and new light. All of the remaining white wires would connect together.  All of the grounds connect together and to any metal boxes and green screws.

You can also run 3 wire cable between the lights, then connect the switch to the new light. Let me know if you would rather do that.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.