Electrical Wiring in the Home/Bathroom Fan/Light 3 rocker switch and GFCI

Question
QUESTION: I'm installing a new Fan/Light/night light combo and a 3 rocker switch to control everything. I have a additional light to control also. I have a 12/2 line in the ceiling that comes from a GFCI outlet. There is a 12/3 line coming from the old fan to the switch. If I connected all the white wires but I'm at a loss for the Black wire coming from the GFCI. Do I just not use it or am I asking for trouble.
thanks for your help

ANSWER: Rob,

The night light adds a level of wiring difficulty here you don't need so in the interest of keeping this simple lets approach it this way.

Forget the night light feature and just don't hook it up or take the fan back and get one thats just a fan light. Probably easier just to keep it and I doubt theres much difference
in cost.
You can always plug a night light into the GFI. The point is you don't have to change the wiring. Just run the exisiting 12-3 into the fan/light and make your connections.

You mentioned another fixture. Unless you want the fan light separately switched from this other fixture you could have it go on and off with the fan light.

If the 12-2 from the GFI is a separate 20 amp circuit you can not use it for this light. This circuit is soley for the GFI.

You would have to come from the switch box with another cable to work this light.

Bob

QUESTION: Thanks for the speedy response. So your say to just "cap off" the leads from the GFCI and keep it totally out of the circuit?

Answer
Yes if its a code required separate 20 amp circuit for the GFI then I can not tell you its OK to use it as convenient as that might be.

Would it be safe to use as long as the wiring is done properly ? yes. They just want to keep that circuit totally free for hair dryers and the like.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman