Electrical Wiring in the Home/circuit of power out

Question
Hi Robert,
In my house that I recently bought 6 months ago, we have a set of receptacles and switches that have stopped working. The breaker has not tripped but is operating correctly. When the breaker is on, my audible voltage tester indicates that there is voltage running through the neutral wire as well as the black wire and what is even more strange the whole wall is indicating that it has voltage running through it. Is it possible somewhere, that a wire is touching the framing or what could be the problem?

Thank you

Answer
Nope.
If what you say is true then you have an open neutral.
Bad termination at panel neutral bar, bad splice at a wirenut or a failed connection at a receptacle.
This assumes, of course, that you didnt cut the wire somewhere hanging a picture or something. It happens
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber