Electrical Wiring in the Home/Dim light

Question
Hi Bill

I recently added a recessed light to an existing circuit. I tied the white wires together in the switch box with a wire nut, and connected the 2 black wires to the switch.  When I turn on the switch only one of the 2 lights on the circuit light up (the one with the lowest watt bulb). The recessed light with the higher watt build only barely glows very faintly. I swapped the bulbs and confirm that both lights work, but as I said, only the one with the lower wattage. If I pull one of the bulbs out neither light works. I have checked my white wires to ensure they are properly connected and the are. I at this point am at a loss. I would appreciate any help!  Thank you!

Regards
Jeff

Answer
Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you made a series circuit. Like old fashion Christmas tree lights. Take one bulb out and the whole string goes out.

I don't think you have the right wires in the switch box. I would remove your wire from the switch and put it back the way you found it. What you wire into is called a switch leg. It is only the hot wire no neutral wire.

To add the additional light you can run you wire to the existing light and match the black and whites together.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz