Electrical Wiring in the Home/dishwasher not working

The dishwasher my sister got worked for a few minutes, then quit.  She was replacing another that decided to stop working.  The person she had installing it says there must be something wrong with the wiring in the house. She is going to get an electrician tocheck it out.  How can she make sure it's not the dishwasher - which she would have to replace again - or the wiring in the house?  Thanks.

Nancy,    wait are we talking new devices?  Where is the warranty?

Next  if someone is installing a dishwasher and cannot read a volt meter, it is the wrong person to install a dishwasher,    

water and electricity do not get along,    even a master plumber should understand how to measure voltage,     there are simple test devices that can be used,      the installer should know the voltage value    is it high, low,  whatever,      compared to name plate       

Utilities will sometimes provide  115. 117, 119. 120. 121, 129 volts,      I have seen voltages as high as 249 to 251 on the 220 side,   and I asked the owner,  do you have light bulbs blowing out all the time?    Yes,     didn't that raise some questions with you?

So if you are supplying low voltage,  or very high voltage,  the amount of voltage,   could be destroying the dishwashers,    

So are any other appliances failing?  Or having problems?

If not then a hard look at the circuit feeding the dishwasher should tell the tale,     

You need to know if there is a loose connection,  utility voltage that is high or low and correctable by the utility,   but the simple start is to simply measure the voltage at the dishwasher,   if way to high or low  find out why,    a loose connection could cause low voltage,  an added on circuit could drop voltage,      but a base line needs to be determined considering this may be dishwasher number three,   

If used with caution a semi skilled electrical experienced person can obtain a decent volt meter for 6 bucks at a hardware store,   good enough for this,  but I am not big on  DYI electrical,  either the person knows or you spend the money to hire an electrician,   why the installer cannot measure voltage is beyond me,        "not my job man"  is probably the answer I would get,   but regardless we are concerned why you are changing dishwashers faster than some change socks,     so it sure would point to the applied voltage,   I suppose other situations like a clogged drain might wreck havoc,  but I would think if clogged drains are problem,  leaks and backups would also be noticed,  

My shop is MEAR Services in Buckner Missouri and Kansas City Missouri,  our repair email is repair@meareservice.com,  our repair phone number is 816-650-4030.    If you keep having this problem or you suspect the electricians answer is not something that sounds right or you don't understand,  let me know, and I will help you figure out what is what and what is really needed,       again    dishwasher fails,   how  just stops working no lights   how did it act?  Then replaced number two,   did it fail the same way,   ?   What mode of failure?   NO power,  power but neither comes on,     see what I am asking?

Let me know how you get along,  first thing is to find out what the voltage is at the dishwasher,   is it the same installer all the time?   If so I would suspect the installer might not know certain things that need to be considered,     sometimes there are voltage or hertz switches or dip  switches on appliances that switch the rated voltage,   are we checking that?  Are we using 220/230 volts or just 110/115?  Any breaker tripping?   Are you sure some GFCI is tripped and the dishwasher is being blamed?

If there is no power to the dishwasher and the blame is on the dishwasher,  you HAVE to find out why there is no power,  I have found GFCI outlets  hidden behind cabinets and tripping off appliances for no reason,          so the failure mode needs to be explained,       how do they fail in what mode?

Let me know what you find, but the odds are real low two or more dishwashers, new or rebuilt or even used would fail in a row.

Any question you have please feel free,  no question is a dumb one,  so ask away,     there is an answer.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Will Babbitt

Electrical issues of all types, wiring, control, appliances, components, specialty in Electric MOTOR or APPARATUS trouble shooting, electric motors, electrical problems, single phase, three phase, DC, capacitors, elevator MG-Sets, modifications, reverse engineering, VFD Drives, single to three phase convertors. Repair of most any electrical/mechanical/electronic apparatus, OEM, AC, DC, Industrial Applications, Three phase, single phase failure mode, determining the root cause of the equipment failure BEFORE failure repeats, Antique appliances, electric motors, fans, ceiling fans, base mount fans, poor equipment performance, Modifications, habitual failures, vibration, redesign, obsolete issues, collectible items restored, rewinding. Owner of EMR Repair Inc www.emrrepair.com More information on electric motors, under Engineering/Motors Ask about any electrical or mechanical problems in the home, office, or even at your work. B2B or business to business CONSULTING I can do but it would be a much more complex issue, that would require a significant amount of time. repair@mearservice.com from there we can discuss and begin work on about anything. Industrial electric motors, controls, troubleshooting, vibration, alignment, any type of industrial or commercial electric/electrcical equipment For the home owner, renter, apartment if you have odd things going on, describe to me, photos are normally very helpful, appliances, heating and air conditioning issues, light switches, installation, DIY PROJECTS FOR THOSE NOT EDUCATED IN ELECTRICAL, we can do some things, but for safety and sanity reasons, I may refer you to a local electrician, and help you find one, help you with pricing and even speak directly with anyone you hire if you have issues,

Over thirty years with a major repair and sales company, VP of Operations, and former owner of my own specialty repair shops, MEAR Services local to Kansas City Missouri EMR Repair Inc., located in Kansas City Missouri, 2014 sold both businesses to JCI Industries, Lee's Summit Missouri wbabbitt@jciind.com Evaluation and repair of electrical/mechanical apparatus. Electrical and mechanical repairs, trouble shooting including, vibration and balance issues. About.com provides this service, and the huge costs to provide help on about any subject. They provide the servers, the people to vet the experts, costs that would be the same as operating a good sized business, They should be appreciated for what they do, the huge costs and the great help they provide for free, Electric motor questions, can be answered here but there is a dedicated category that has other experts to help and add to a solution. Other common questions, are noises in the walls, breakers tripping, devices not starting or shutting down for no apparent reason, smoke alarms buzzing, thermostat change outs, or sizing wire or needing information for a new project, but anything can be resolved, anything, with enough effort and patience, DIY, with electrical is possible, but in most cases the use of a simple ohm meter or volt meter is needed, they can be purchased at any hardware store for a few bucks. If you have smoke, or smell smoke, don't be writing me, call 911 the Fire Department has no problem looking for smoke smells, better then spraying water on a blazing fire. DO NOT GET CAUGHT INVESTIGATING AND TRAPPED IN A BASEMENT LOOKING FOR A BLOWER FAILING< As to the tip jar, it is up to you, it is appreciated, every expert spends out of pocket that I know, we spend on IP time, computer wear, printing documents, books, and of course our time, but if we prevent a $400 service call, we did well,

Former IBEW, EASA, IEEE, UL, ..............

10 plus years, various Technical Schools, followed by Industrial College Credit and non Credit Courses, electronics courses, experience in most any electrical apparatus, electric motors and generators, AC OR DC, fractional to above 5000HP, other electrical apparatus, slip rings, sleeve [plain] bearings, lubrication, identification-no data plate, control components, service and sales. I have continued night schools for decades, the list is extensive. I have been in the business of repairing most anything with wires or mechanical parts for decades, I have some helpful hints and directions you won't have to dig up. Or hopefully not have to pay a huge service call invoice to find.

Federal Government, National Weather Service, NOAA, Commercial Power Plants, Major Vehicle Manufacturers, Printers, Other industrial and Commercial Businesses