Electrical Wiring in the Home/Electric baseboard thermostats don't click

I have two electric baseboard thermostats that no longer click when you increase or decrease the temperature settings. The heat does turn off and on when I turn the dials, and I think they are probably cycling when they're left alone, though I'm not sure correctly. Is the loss of the click sound an indication of a problem? (I assume it's just coincidence that two out of the 6 thermostats -- one per room -- stopped around the same time). The model is Honeywell T498E 1006 4 (both the same) and they were in the house when we moved in over 20 years ago.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

I have never known the lack of a "click" to be a problem in a line voltage thermostat or the precurser to a problem. However given the age of these thermostats I would change them anyway even though they are apparently working for one reason: 20 years old ? it maybe time. Particularly from a calibration stand point. It may not be turning the heat on soon enough any more or turning it off soon enough. In other words its not modulating the heat as good as it should be. And the contacts maybe nearing the end of their useful life as well depending upon how much the heat is used. You can use the old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and if you feel its working the way it should then let it ride. Or if your not sure and you just want to be ahead of the game and know you have new stats then you can go that route. Its your call.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.