Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrician

Question
I'm thinking of transferring careers and was wondering what are the steps to become an electrician and how long will it take? Also what is the starting pay and what are the working conditions? Can I simply take a 6 month course and start earning a living?

Answer
Al,

With no experience, having some schooling in electric is a definite plus when applying for a job or that you can at least say you've enrolled in a school recognized by your state towards contributing to your experieinse and you can prove that. The point being with out experience you need some thing to show your prospective employer that your serious about your career and your not going to waste his time.

You have to see what course's are available in your area, what they entail time wise and cost wise. I have a guy working with me now who is taking a course with APEX thats costing him $18K. I think its an 18 month course but when he's done it will count towards his time to get a "journeymans" lic or a "Master Electricians license

The plus side to no experience (time spent with a contractor) from an employers point of view is that your "trainable" at least thats the hope. In other words you haven't had time to pick up bad habits working for somebody else and he can get you to do things the way he wants them done. Try to find a contractor who cares about how his guys do work. Obviously you can pick up bad habits instead of good ones depending upon the contractor so look for a reputable contractor and not just anybody. Your electrical education will continue with who ever you choose so make it count. Research the contractors in the area and find out as much about them as you can because they will want to know all about you. Find out what kind of electrical work they do to get a feel for what your going to learn. Some guys just do residential or commercial or industrial. Some guys do all those area's. If you want a well rounded education in electric try to find a contractor who does all 3 or at least residential and commercial. I was fortunate to have had all 3 in my 8 + years with my old boss and it has served me very well over the years.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman