Electrical Wiring in the Home/flickering lights through out the house

Question
We have had this issue for the past 3 months. It has worsened. Now it dims as if though the lights are about to go out or turn very bright. It's burned out my lights. It goes down to 100 and up to 130 when the light brightens. We have changed the breaker box, changed plugs inside home, checked wires in attic, made sure everything was tightened correctly outside. Called the electric company twice. They said it's not at their end. They also said no one around us has reported any issues with the lights. I've been reading online that the meter socket can cause flickering lights. We had a smart meter installed about two years ago and the meter socket is 30 yrs old. It was there when we bought the house. I suggested to my husband that we should get it changed. The flickering is at random times.

Answer
Erika,

The condition you describe is an "open neutral" where the lights will alternately get dim then get bright depending upon what is on in the house at the time. This condition will burn out light bulbs and more importantly ruin appliances and create a possible shock hazzard.

I question the utilitys claim its not on their end because it most likely is some where along the line. You may need to get a licensed electrician out there to determine exactly who's end the problem is on. Once he does that and he can confirm the problem is on the utilitys end they will have to come out and correct it. If you suffer any damage to your appliances as a result the utility is liable for the damage. Ask them about this. If they deny it call your local State Board of Public Utilitys to make sure. If they balk at coming out to address the problem
call the BPU and file a complaint. Watch how fast they come out and fix the problem.

BTW the meter socket if its that old could be the source of the problem and if it is you would be responsible for the repair. The Utilitys responsibility is up to and including the connections at the weather head on your electric service assuming you have "overhead service".
If you have underground service the utilty is usually responsible for the maintenance of the wires underground should the problem be underground.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman