Electrical Wiring in the Home/fluorescent lights dimming

I have 2 4foot fluorescent fixtures in my basement.  They are controlled by a single toggle switch at the top of the steps.  I am trying to add another light in the "line" at the top of the steps.  I "spliced" in the single-bulb fixture at the top of the steps, after the switch.  Now when I turn on the switch, the 4foot fixtures barely light up-they're really dim.  The CFL at the top of the steps is dim as well.  Any idea on why the fluorescent fixtures barely light up now that I added just a single-bulb fixture into the line ?  I took that fixture out, tied the two wires to the fixture back together and the fluorescents work fine again.    

Thanks much!

You have the lights in series with each other.

If you have one cable with two wires (not counting the ground) at the switch, you can not tap off of there.  You will need to run the wire from the fixture.  You would connect the wire going to the upstairs light to the same wires as the downstairs fixtures.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.