Electrical Wiring in the Home/Garbage disposa electrical

We have replaced our garbage disposal.We also changed the switches.  The house was built in 1990.  The previous switch did not have a ground on it and the current one does. There were ground wires bundled in the receptacle but were not being used.  We are now using 2 of the 3 (one for the dishwasher and one for the garbage disposal).  Since the dishwasher works and the disposal does not, should we be using the 3rd?  It doesn't make sense to me, but then much of what the builders of this house has done, does not make sense to me.

The ground is suppose to be one continues price of metal connected to all the metal devices in your electrical system. Your old switch may not of had a ground connection it the switch was plastic framed (yoked). Your 3 grounds need to be twisted together first. Then it doesn't matter witch one connects to the dishwasher or disposal.

The grounds will not keep any of your appliance from working. They are there only to keep the metal case of your appliance from becoming energized. It is for safety. I'm sorry to say, but if the disposal is not working you may want to call in an electrician to check the wires.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz

Any questions about being an electrician or doing electrical work. I can help advise people on their wiring needs, what kind of outlets and switcher to use, explain what an electrical service is and how their breakers work. I can also help them with their lighting needs. . I CAN HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT.

My Father apprenticed to his Father-and I apprenticed to mine, repeating an invaluable tradition of child labor and a great place to learn a trade. Beginning at the age of 13, I worked with my dad every weekend and summer vacation in homes throughout Philadelphia repairing and rewiring all levels of residential electrical systems. Studying electrical engineering and earning a degree in architecture has given me a solid advantage in solving the myriad of residential electrical problems. Generation 3 Electrical, Inc. takes pride in every job - building confidence by how we do things - by being prompt, thorough and leaving every job site finished and clean.