Electrical Wiring in the Home/Generator Usage

Question
Bob:
I purchased a 7000W Westinghouse portable generator.
The User Manual indicates that subject generator should be used only in a dry environment.
However, the most likely time for a power failure and the need for generator power,  will undoubtedly be during a rain or snow storm.
If I have need of the generator at that time, do I need to attempt to keep it covered or protected in some manner, from rain and snow.
If so, that does not seem practical in a wintry N'eastern storm.
I welsome your guidance and volunteering..

Answer
Nicholas,

That is true and you do need to provide some protection from the weather but at the same time not inhibit the generator from breathing (getting rid of heat and exhaust) Some people have made shed like enclosures to put generators into that are big enough for heat and exhaust to escape easily with out the use of any exhaust fans and heavy enough that they don't blow away.

You also need to have plenty of clearence on all sides and top of the generator. Check out U tube for some ideas. Don't use sound deadening materials like foam insulation board, it is highly flammable. Also you don't want the generator with in 10' f the house for exhaust and fire considerations especially if its in a wooden enclosure.

Type in "generator sheds" and see what comes up. I saw a guy who was making them and they looked pretty good. If you get something flimsy it will blow away or get knocked down in high winds. You really do need something with some weight and plenty of clearence inside.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman