Electrical Wiring in the Home/Ghost or Phantom Voltage?

Question
I live in a 3 unit 100yr house and needed to change a light fixture in a bedroom.  I turned off all circuits in my panel and still found the non contact voltage tester lighted and sounded at the fixture's box and wires (both neutrals and hots -- there are 5 pairs, one pair is cloth).  An electrical outlet in the same room had the tester light up and sound as well, so I plugged in my multimeter (fluke 113) in the neutral and hot -- but get no reading, my fluke says OL and when I go through the ranges manually, it's all 0 readings.  I thought I should be getting some kind of voltage reading.  What else can I try to get a reading?  Also, what other tests can I be performing to understand what is going on?

Answer
Thomas,

The voltage sensor type testers can and do give false readings from time to time. If your multi tester is telling you there is no voltage present then there most likely isn't. These wires may be having a voltage induced in them some where and its enough that the voltage sensor is picking it up giving it the appearence there is power. If its a Fluke voltage sensor like the one I have it will light up when it gets to with in about 2 inches of a live wire. In your case you probably  have to get the tip of the tester right next to the wire in order for it to light. This is how I can tell the difference between a wire that actually has power on it VS one that has a voltage induced in it from another wire. Just where this is taking place in the wiring of the house is a good question. It could be a conduit or a junction box.

Being this is a multi family and an older home that was probably turned into a multi family over the years where they had to separate the wiring from one apt to another you could very well have wires from one apt passing anothers in a common junction box or raceway where this phenomena can occur.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman