Electrical Wiring in the Home/grounding

QUESTION: How far can the connection between two grounding rods be with 6 awg wire? I need a grounding rod near a different part of the house, but it is about 35-40 feet away from the first. The wire is stranded THHN, and jacketed. Is it possible to safely connect the two, and with 6 awg?

ANSWER: Why do you need another ground rod at another location?

QUESTION: I have a satellite that needs grounding, and it cannot be relocated on the house because of trees. I was not sure if there was a problem with that kind of distance between rods or the size of wire for that distance. I have no plans at this time to use an extra rod for anything else other than that, but I cannot be sure someone else won't use it like the existing ground rod in the future. All I see on our existing rod is an old cable connection, the phone line, and a line for the service coming out of the electrical meter.

ANSWER: Robert Wilber
Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
Electricity is fire in a box!
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
In my opinion, the ground rod you are planning to install serves as a means of dissipating a lightning strike on your dish. I don't think it should be connected to your existing grounding system.

Check with your local "Authority having Jurisdiction."

QUESTION: Thanks. I have read different answers about this on different websites, and have had to ask multiple people, including different satellite techs. With the way it is set up, the coax coming from the dish screws into a threaded grounding block, and then another coax comes from the other side of the grounding block and goes into the modem. I believe it looks like this: http://www.dbsinstall.com/N-images/Whatis/Driploop-1.jpg

The modem, on the other hand, has a grounded plug and would be on the service ground, and at the same time, because of the coax, it would also be connected to the 2nd ground. I did talk to some local electricians, and one said something about ground loop if the two rods are not connected (I guess "bonded").

Thanks for the help.

Your inquiry has motivated me to investigate somewhat

Article 810 of the NEC would require that the ground rods be bonded, no ifs and or buts

More about antenna and dish installations:
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair