Electrical Wiring in the Home/Grounding Rod

Question
Hello,

Can you tell me how hard is it to install a grounding rod, and what I need to do before I install one? I had a satellite installed, and noticed the tech did not ground it. The grounding block is on a different part of the house, which I am not sure the dish can be relocated because of a tree.

What I want to know is:

The best place to locate it, and if there are any places to avoid installing one

What underground structures to look out for. I will have to have the gas lines located, and I already know where the telephone line is.

How much rod should be sticking above ground after the install.

If there is anything else to keep in mind.

Thank You

Answer
KC,

Basically anywhere around the house is good but try to locate it as close as is practical to where the dish is if possible.   

Stay at least 2 feet off the side of the house so you don't hit the foundation footing.

Know where the house waste line exits the house so you don't hit that and the water and gas line's. You don't need to drive the rod near those things, you have plenty of room so don't take any chance's.

The top of the rod technically should be below the grass and into the dirt.

Some soils are easy to drive rods, you can almost push them in by hand. Some you almost need a pile driver to get them in and I've had those over the years. As long as the rod is making progress your good and progress can be painfully slow at times. Have a good sledge hammer or hand sledge. Which ever one you can handle better. The hand sledge is lighter and more accurate and it is all about accuracy with driving rods. Kinda like golf its all technique. You want to hit the rod in the center of the sledge every time or as much as you can.

Bob  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman