Electrical Wiring in the Home/grounding rod installation

If I've asked some of these questions before, it might be because my email service keeps labeling mail as spam, despite this protection being disabled.

I need an extra grounding rod 40 feet away from the existing ground rod. I will post links to any pictures at the bottom.

I plan on using around 45 feet of copper 4 or 6 awg to connect the two, but I wanted the cable to be underground for protection. I looked at the THHN wire, but it seems it is not rated for direct burial. Can bare solid wire be used? If not, what are my options, and I would not mind the use of conduit to protect buried wires. Also, what wire size do I use, 4 or 6 for copper?

These pics might help:

#6 copper is all thats required.

THHN is fine for this particular purpose.

I don't recomend solid wire due to its inflexibility so unless you have some laying around that you want to get rid of, stick with stranded.

If you can run the wire in the dirt right up against the foundation your pretty safe against it getting hit. Thats the way I usually do it, then when you have to come off the foundation a few feet to hit the rod thats where I usually sleeve the #6 with 1/2" PVC so any one poking around won't damage the wire.

You can take another "bug" (mechanical connector) like the two that are already attached to the wire coming off the rod and connect your #6 to the new rod. Or if theres's enough space on either of the existing "bugs" you can just use those. The existing rod should be driven all the way into the dirt with the "acorn clamp" just sticking out so you know where it is. The acorn clamp is what connects the wire to the top of the rod.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Licensed Master Electrician (32 years) 6165B Contractor in Closter New Jersey with 40 years total experience in Residential - Commercial - Industrial work. Emergency Service - General trouble shooting and repair work - ONAN & GENERAC generator installation - Paddle fans - Kitchen & Bath exhaust fans - AC lines - Smoke detectors - Telephone lines - Cable TV lines - Computer network cabling - Exterior lighting - Recessed lighting - Security lighting - (200 - 150 - 100 amp service up grades) - Electric Heat - New circuits - New appliance hook ups - and more ! FREE ESTIMATES 201-358-1552 Fully Insured

Licensed contractor in Closter New Jersey.

"The Frank Williams School of Electrical Construction". My dear old boss is 100 ! and still going God Bless him. I started working for "Tenafly Electric" right out of high school at 19. He was tough but I learned more working for him in 8 and half years than most guys. We did mostly industrial work while doing some commercial and residential so I was fortunate to be exposed to all 3 areas of electrical construction. The guys I worked with were all good guys and I stay in touch with some of them still. Most of us went into our own buisness's which says something about the caliber of the guys I worked with. We had some interesting clients : Wella Corp. of shampoo fame, Farah Fawcett etc, I didn't buy shampoo for 10 years. It was a great place to work. Pan Am the former airline just before they went under, another great place to work, nice clean environment. C&C Metals, the largest button manufacturer in the US at that time, a not so clean environment but a very interesting place to work, lots of machine's cranking out buttons of all kinds but you had to be on your toes, it was a potentially dangerous place to be . All kinds of action going on around you.