Electrical Wiring in the Home/Home Wiring

Question
QUESTION: My mother uses an infrared heater in her home occasionally and it works very well.  Recently, I borrowed it to use at my house in my bedroom.   I could easily tell that it was not generating the same amount of heat output at my house that it did at my motherís.  Is this a common problem?

ANSWER: Hi Mark,

This is not normal. I think the power company could be supplying you with slightly difference voltages. You mother could have higher then normal voltage. You could have lower then normal voltage. Only way to know is with a voltage tester.

QUESTION: Bill,

Is this something that can be performed with a Digital Multimeter.  If so, can you give me some idea how to go about doing this?  

Thank you very much for passing along your knowledge.  I greatly appreciate it.

Mark

Answer
All you can do is take a meter reading. In the us our voltage should be 120v  +or-  5%. You can buy a meter that also test the line under a 15 or 20 amp load.  It may be an issue with bad connections. You would need an electrician to fix that. It could be good to have done. Bad connections can be a fire hazard.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz