Electrical Wiring in the Home/Huge electric drain coming from garage area

Question
We just started renting a townhome, and our first electric bill was $231 for 1861 kwh of usage in 35 days, which we discovered is about twice the national average.  We went out and checked our meter.  Sure enough, it's spinning at a rate easily twice as fast as our neighbors (whose meter is right above ours).  

The electric company read the meter three days ago, and since they read it, it already shows 1100 kwh of usage.  

My husband and I tested the meter by turning off various breakers, as well as the main line, to see how this affected the meter.  The meter stopped when the main line was turned off.  The meter slowed down dramatically when the breaker that controls the garage was turned off.  We have not added/changed any appliances since moving in.  The furnace, hot water heater, stove are all gas.  

What could be causing this drain?  I currently have the breaker turned off because I'm concerned about safety.

Answer
Mary,

It sounds like there could be an electric space heater in the garage. It also sounds like the garage may have its own panel. If it does then you could go in the garage and check the directory of the panel to see whats in it. You may very well see a marking for electric heat. If its not marked You can perform the same test and see which breaker in the panel cause's the greatest reduction in meter rotation.

Bob
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

PASCACK VALLEY ELECTRIC Bob Mossman