Electrical Wiring in the Home/installing cable

Question
hi bob,
 i was thinking about installing cable internet in my home and was about to tell them to send me a self install kit but realized that installation requires connecting a coaxial cable to a coaxial socket. problem is, i don't have a coaxial socket! would i have to call a cable installer to come? and what exactly would he do? (like will he tear down my wall?!??!) thanks

Answer
Hi.

There are two ways to do it.  You can either fish the wires inside the walls, or run the wires outside of the house.  Personally, I do not like the looks of wires running up the outside walls.  Most likely, the cable company will run the wire to your house near the electric meter, since the wire has to be grounded. If you do it yourself, you would have to install and provide the wire from outside to wherever you want the modem and/or router. The self install kit is usually just a couple of short pieces of wire. You would need to buy more.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle