Electrical Wiring in the Home/light bulbs

Question
The light fixture in my kitchen says use only 40 watt bulbs. The fixture has 4 bulbs, thats 160 watts all together. My question is can I use  4 CFL bulbs that do not exceed 160 watts all together? What I would like to do is use 4 CFL bulbs that use 13 watts each but each puts out the light of a 60 watt bulb makeing it brighter in my kitchen. Thank You.

Answer
Hi Charles,

That will work as long as you are under the 40 watts per bulb. I would double check the warnings on the bulbs themselves. You should not find anything but it is always a good idea to double check. You may want to check out the LED bulbs. They cost more but look better.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz