Electrical Wiring in the Home/Motion and light detecting switch

Question
Hi Bob,

I have a typical motion and light detector switch for a ceiling light in a u-shaped stairway.  The light does not turn on when coming downstairs as the switch is near the bottom landing so it only comes on when the person reaches close to the landing.  I would like the light to come on sooner; is there another solution out there that can work better?  Are there sensors in the form of a wire or small form factor device to put between the ceiling light and electrical?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Answer
Hi.

This is a place where a motion detector may not be the best choice.

Another option is X10 home automation.  You would use a remote switch for the light. You would also need two or more battery operated motion detectors, and a receiver that would plug into an outlet. Smarthome.com is one place that sells X10 automation.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle