Electrical Wiring in the Home/old wiring in a home

Question
Hi, We have recently bought an older home that has been sitting for a while, had to do all the stripping of carpets and old tile and other junk left in the home.  While cleaning we noticed evidence of pack rats and mice! LOTS of them!! We were very scared that due to so many droppings and so much stuff in the home they were surviving on they would for sure be nesting up in the attic. To our surprise; NONE! Maybe because there was no insulation what so ever up there. My husband was able to go up into the attic and walk around inspecting and looking for any eat up wires, but found none!! Do you think its possible all our wiring is going to be ok good enough and safe for us to go ahead and have our electric services turned on so we can proceed with our renovations?

Answer
There is no way to know for sure if there is any damage. I would turn the power on and see it there were any issues at power up. I would then check the age of the wires. You could have an electrician install AFCI circuit. Breakers. They would protect you from mouse damage.  
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bill Lutz