Electrical Wiring in the Home/POSSIBLE NAIL HITTING WIRE

Question
I was installing a new MDF base board on my stairs and when nailing it to the wall, the light on the ceiling above began to flicker.  There is a pressure sensitive switch with intensity control activated by touching a flat plate located above the point where I was nailing.  Could I have hit a wire or would the shock of the nailing be sufficient to have caused the flickering?  The circuit breaker did not pop.

Answer
I have found many wires with brads driven thru them. On the other hand, it may have been the shock of the hammer blows which caused the flickering.
If you are really concerned it will be necessary to open the walls to examine the area where you drove the nails.
There is no other way to be absolutely certain.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber