Electrical Wiring in the Home/replacing range

Question
I am replacing a range and have run into an issue. The wire coming from the panel is from a 50 amp breaker and reads type xhhw crrs 600 volts c cdrs 6 al (ul) 1988. The range that was connected was straight wired with the wht and grd both attached to wires that are not shielded there appears to be 8 wires. The salesman at Home Depot offer advice that I should wire the outlet the same way. I read advice that suggested running a new single wire for the neutral. I could also replace the old wire with new, its only about 15 ft. What do you suggest as the most reasonable course of action.

Answer
In order to be up to current electrical code, I would run a new circuit to include the fourth wire. On older appliances including the range, dryer, and other 240 volt devices it was code to only use a 3 wire circuit as there was no neutral, just the two hot legs and a ground. The current code in simple terms has these three previous conductors and the ground is still connected to the ground which connects to ground the actual cabinet and metal parts, the neutral grounds the electrical components in the event of a short. Thanks for asking, J
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

J Cook